".>>>" is a good idea! (OT, was: Re: do you master list comprehensions?)

Bengt Richter bokr at oz.net
Fri Dec 17 22:53:52 EST 2004

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 08:03:12 -0500, Kent Johnson <kent3737 at yahoo.com> wrote:

>Steven Bethard wrote:
>> Very cool.  I didn't know about this.  Does anyone know how to make it
>> work with Pythonwin[1]?  (Obviously, I can type the above in manually
>> every time, but I'd much rather have Pythonwin do this automatically for
>> me.)
>>
>> Steve
>>
>> [1] I'd do my example code at the command prompt, but I can't live
>> without copy-paste. ;)
>
>You can copy and paste from a Windows command prompt. It's a bit bizarre, but
>- In the system menu for a command window, pick Properties
>- On the Options tab, turn on Quick Edit mode
>- Now you can copy and paste with right-click (!). If you have text selected, right-click will copy,
>otherwise paste. It's a bit strange but it works.
>
>I think it's wonderfully ironic that in Windows - which takes such pains to make everything keyboard
>accessible - in a *command line* window, which is using keyboard input by its nature - you have to
>use the mouse for copy and paste!!

Not true on NT4 at least:

Alt-Spacebar gets you the system menu
Follow with e then k which gets you in select mode

use arrow keys to move to top left of a box, or whole screen
(if there's more buffer than screen, arrows should cause scrolling
to access more)

hold shift key down and use arrow keys while continuing to hold
the shift key down to select a box of text (need not be at edges)
this can also scroll through buffer as necessary to select more than can
be visible at one time. Just keep holding down shift.

press enter to capture box of text to clipboard

paste as usual with ctrl-v ins some apps, shift-insert in vim (depending),
or paste back into the dos window with Alt-spacebar e p

Regards,
Bengt Richter