Persistent objects

Paul Rubin http
Tue Dec 14 04:50:16 EST 2004

deelan <ggg at zzz.it> writes:
> this sounds like the "orthogonal persistence" of
> unununium python project:

Thanks, I had something a little more conventional in mind, but I
really enjoyed reading the unununium page.  It's not often that I see
someone doing something that interesting and far-out, that's simple
and low level at the same time.

I think POSH is the closest thing mentioned in this thread to what I
had in mind.  I could imagine adding some simple kernel hacks to
support it on the x86 architecture, specifically using the x86
segmentation registers to allow using raw pointers (instead of
handles) in the shared memory objects.  You'd just set the ES register
appropriately for each process depending on where the shared memory
region was mapped for that process.  Alternatively, simply have some
way to give the shared region the same address in every process.
That's most attractive on a 64-bit machine.  You'd just reserve some
32-bit (or larger) block of address space for the shared region, that
starts at some sufficiently high address in each process.