Persistent objects

Paul Rubin http
Sun Dec 12 08:30:58 EST 2004

Alan Kennedy <alanmk at hotmail.com> writes:
> Have you looked at Ian Bicking's SQLObject?
>
> http://sqlobject.org/

That sounds like Python object wrappers around SQL transactions.
That's the opposite of what I want.  I'm imagining a future version of
Python with native compilation.  A snippet like

   user_history[username].append(time())

where user_history is an ordinary Python dict, would take a few dozen
machine instructions.  If user_history is a shared memory object of
the type I'm imagining, there might be a few dozen additional
instructions of overhead dealing with the proxy objects.  But if SQL
databases are involved, that's thousands of instructions, context
switches, TCP messages, and whatever.  That's orders of magnitude
difference.