from vb6 to Python

Gerhard Häring gh at ghaering.de
Fri Dec 10 17:23:26 EST 2004

MarcoL wrote:
> Hello,
>     I am a VB6 programmer and I would like to learn a new high level
> language (instead of restarting from scratch with .NET), wich is
> opensource and cross-platform, in order to develop cross-platform
> business applications
> I think Python is the most suitable language for the scope.
> My question are:
>
> - Which version of python is more suitable for creating cross-platform
> GUI's? I've herard of PyGTK, wxPython, PyQT, tk, Anygui..

It's a matter of taste. I like wxPython best. It would probably be
different if PyQT was also open-source on win32.

> - What is the best IDE/RAD for Python (written in Python and OpenSource)

You should check out ERIC/Qt. If you need to target Windows, then you
can consider buying a win32 Qt/PyQt license.

The best IDE I've seen so far is WingIDE (commercial).

> - Does exist a tool (written in Python and OpenSource) like Crystal
> Report for creating business reports?

Reportlab is the closest I know.

> - Does exist a tool (written in Python and OpenSource) for makeing
> tables, view, querys, relation of a database and generate the SQL script?

Rekall is the closest.

> - Is it possible, from Python, to work with sqlite? And with MsAccess?

Yes.

pysqlite (http://pysqlite.org/), and pyado, if by MsAccess you mean
using the JET engine via ADO.

HTH,