Win32 Libs for 2.4

Daniel Dittmar daniel.dittmar at sap.corp
Mon Dec 6 11:46:44 EST 2004

Robin Becker wrote:
> actually I want to build the PIL extension for 2.4 as pyd and include
> various libraries eg zlib and jpeg. To avoid the missing dlls issue we
> have done this in the past by incorporating the zlib/jpeg code using
> static libraries for both zlib and jpeg.
>
> It seems I can use the static lib built with MSC 6 with the extension
> code compiled with MSC 7.1. At least the extnsion build doesn't
> complain. Whether this is really allowed is another matter.

I guess that it won't work if something malloc'ed from the MSC 6 runtime
is free'd by the MSC 7.1 runtime.

zlib is also part of the Python sources on Windows, so it shouldn't be a
problem to build it for PIL.

I'm not sure what effort would be needed to build jpeg lib using MSC
7.1. My guess would be that there is hardly any effort if an nmake file
exists and a bit more work if you only have MS VC project file.

Daniel