Win32 Libs for 2.4

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Mon Dec 6 12:09:50 EST 2004

Daniel Dittmar wrote:
> Robin Becker wrote:
>
>> actually I want to build the PIL extension for 2.4 as pyd and include
>> various libraries eg zlib and jpeg. To avoid the missing dlls issue we
>> have done this in the past by incorporating the zlib/jpeg code using
>> static libraries for both zlib and jpeg.
>>
>> It seems I can use the static lib built with MSC 6 with the extension
>> code compiled with MSC 7.1. At least the extnsion build doesn't
>> complain. Whether this is really allowed is another matter.
>

> I guess that it won't work if something malloc'ed from the MSC 6 runtime
> is free'd by the MSC 7.1 runtime.

I thought that static .libs didn't make reference to the dll's they need; isn't
that done at load time?

As for rebuilding that's easy; the hard part is having all the versions
available at once. I prefer to keep common code in one place so would prefer to
have only one static lib for these non version dependant things.

--
Robin Becker