from vb6 to Python

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Sat Dec 11 21:46:05 EST 2004

Luis M. Gonzalez wrote:
> MarcoL wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>	I am a VB6 programmer and I would like to learn a new high level
>>language (instead of restarting from scratch with .NET...
>

> I'd like to add that by going with Python, you'll also be able to
> develop for .NET. Check this out: www.ironpython.com .
> Since the development of Ironpython is now being funded by Microsoft,
> you'll get the best of both worlds: An already excellent
> cross-platform, object oriented language and a fully compliant .NET
> language for Windows and Linux (through Mono and DotGnu).

Unfortunately this is currently not near production use, and whether
Microsoft is funding IronPython development is up in the air:

One IronPython fan noted a disconcerting silence in IronPython development:

http://usefulinc.com/edd/blog/contents/2004/12/09-jvm/read

Of course it'll all resolve itself one way or another eventually, just
wanted to correct the impression that IronPython is ready to go already.

Regards,

Martijn