Best GUI for small-scale accounting app?

Luke Skywalker luke at tatooine.planet
Tue Dec 28 21:04:51 EST 2004

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 20:06:57 -0500, Ed Leafe <ed at leafe.com> wrote:
>That's where Paul and I came from, and that was our initial motivation
>for deciding to develop Dabo - there wasn't a Python tool out there
>that could even begin to approach what we were used to with VFP.

Interesting discussion. I haven't looked at Dabo yet, but the issues
that must be solved before Python is a valid alternative to
proprietary solutions like Delphi or VB are:

- speed where it matters (ie. no 20s load time)

- good RAD (IDE and GUI designer, on par with Delphi or VB)

- high-quality, varied widgets

- good DB connectors

- reasonable footprint (ie. no 20MB program just for a small
appplication; have mercy on users stuck with P3 and dial-up)

- ease of deployment and maintenance (ie. how easy is it for an
application to launch some updated that will fetch updates from the
web)

If Dabo can do all this, it could be a great solution to all those
people Delphi/VFP/VB users whether to go .Net.

Luke.