what would you like to see in a 2nd edition Nutshell?

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.com
Wed Dec 29 07:45:09 EST 2004

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 11:35:18 +0100, aleaxit at yahoo.com (Alex Martelli)
wrote:

>So, if there's any advice or request about a 2nd edition of the
>Nutshell, this is the right time for y'all to let me know.  Feedback is
>welcome, either privately or right here.  Thanks in advance -- _and_
>apologies in advance because I know I just won't be able to accomodate
>all the requests/advice, given the constraints on book size &c.

I understand in advance that my comments are not fully practical:

The gap in the "market" against which I am currently bumpiong up
against a wall is in gaining an understanding of threads,
sub-processes, sockets, signals and such in Python - having no
background in these concepts from outside of Python.

Programming concepts up to this level can all (or mostly all)
succesfully be learned and understood from materials out there
speaking in Python. As to these concepts, the implicit point of view
seems to be to leave Python to learn the concepts, and return to
Python to understand its implementation of the details, once the
concepts are well grasped.

It seems to me important that this gap be filled. somehow at some
point.  The advice of "go learn threads in Java" and come back then
seems a pity. Some of the other concepts which I am confronting I
understand to be basic for the C programmer.  "This is how Python
implements these C concepts, which we of course all understand".
My hand has been held nicely, too this point then....

Learn C and come back?  Love to. Don't have the time.  I am a
practicing Python programmer, hoping that can be enough.

If I want to no more than be able to follow, say, the current Idle
code of the PyShell module, I can find very little guidance from
within the canon of Python literature.

Help?

Art