Why would I use inspect.isclass()?

Nicolas Fleury nid_oizo at yahoo.com_removethe_
Wed Dec 29 22:20:29 EST 2004

> an_instance=Abc()

> But what good is that?  Of course I know Abc is a class, why would I want to
> inspect it so that it would tell me what I already know?

Well, for no reason in that case.  For the same reason you would not
call isinstance(an_instance, Abc) if you already know an_instance is an
instance of Abc.

>     def Hello(self, some_class):
>     # since I don't know if the argument passed down *is* a class or not, I
> would:
>         if inspect.isclass(some_class)==True:
>         return
> ###
>
> But that obviously isn't what isclass is for.  What should I use?

Well, it's obviously what isclass is for;)  (By the way, you would be
better not compare your conditions with True, unless it's really what
you want).

I guess another example would be an assert on the type of argument:
def foo(someClass):
     assert inspect.isclass(someClass)
     # rest of code

This way errors on types are handled at the beginning and at the same
time the code it documenting itself.  The function could also be useful
in cases where you do some C++-like overloading mechanism.  Anyway,
isclass, like iscallable, are functions that are not used often, but you
still might need them.

Regards,
Nicolas