portable text user interface

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Thu Dec 30 12:41:35 EST 2004

On 2004-12-30, Maxim Kasimov <kasimov at i.com.ua> wrote:

>>>yes i'm telneting (sshing), that is the reason why i'm looking
>>>for libs for making text interfaces. i know there is a project
>>>named "anakonda" - red hat linux installer, but it is uses
>>>specific C libs. i can use only python libs.
>>
>> By "only python libs" do you mean only the stuff that's
>> included in the vanilla CPython distro?  If that's the case,
>> then curses is pretty much the only choice.  Last time I
>> looked, it didn't work on Windows.
>>
>> I've used the snack module (which is what anaconda uses), and
>> it's very handy for simple text-based UIs.
>>
> at ports (FreeBSD) i've found this:
>    Port:   snack-2.2.7
>    Info:   A sound toolkit for scripting languages

Unfortunately there are two modules with the same name. The one
you found is a sound library.

The other one is the Python wrapped version of the newt
library.  I've no idea why the Python newt module is called
"snack".  The new source code comes with the Python "snack"
module wrapper.

The most recent version I have handy is available at

  ftp://ftp.visi.com/users/grante/stuff/newt-0.50.tar.gz

There appear to be more recent versions available:

  http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/fedora/3/i386/newt-0.51.6-5.i386.html
  http://linux.maruhn.com/sec/newt.html
  http://www.freshports.org/devel/newt

There's a rather outdated tutorial on using Newt v0.30 from C:

  http://www.oksid.ch/gnewt/tutorial.html

Newt requires the s-lang library:

  http://www.s-lang.org/

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Imagine--a WORLD
                                  at               without POODLES...