Why tuples use parentheses ()'s instead of something else like <>'s?

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Fri Dec 31 08:23:54 EST 2004

Jeff Shannon wrote:

> Alex Martelli wrote:
>
>> Carl Banks <imbosol at aerojockey.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Then again, millenia past didn't have Frank Gehry (i.e., the Perl of
>>> modern architecture).
>>

>> Uhm -- I count the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao among the _successes_ of
>> modern architecture...
>

> I'll give you the Bilbao Guggenheim, which (at least in the exterior
> pictures I can find) is a very attractive building, but here in Seattle
> we must deal with the giant eyesore that is Gehry's Experience Music
> Project, which (at least to my eyes) looks like a monstrous pile of
> architectural rubbish.  I can appreciate Gehry's attempts to get away
> from the tyranny of the straight line, and even with the EMP there's
> certain details which turned out well, but the overall effect is that of
> an overturned garbage pail.

My wife, who's a commercila property manager, holds that many of the
worst architectural excesses were designed as monuments to the architect
rather that to fulfil the operational needs of the occupier.

Come to think, I can remember at least one shitty piece of software that
was designed on the same principles, but thankfully it's now over seven
years since I worked in *that* environment.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden               http://www.holdenweb.com/
Holden Web LLC      +1 703 861 4237  +1 800 494 3119