Distributing Python applications - McMillan Installer question

Eric Brunel eric_brunel at despammed.com
Thu Aug 26 13:15:48 EDT 2004

Chris wrote:
> I would like to be able to "package-up" a Python application on my
> development platform (Linux) so that it can be easily distributed and
> installed on Windows and UNIX e.g. HP-UX, AIX etc. I'd rather not use
> Python's disutils.
> I've looked at cx_Freeze but this requires a "base executable" to be
> available for each target platform i.e. I'd need to compile this base
> executable on the target platforms but I don't have access to them
> all.
> I've had a quick look at the McMillan installer and from what I've
> seen It's not clear to me whether this would do the job for me or not?

AFAIK, it won't: you'll also need a base executable compiled for each platform
you intend to run on, so you'll need an access to each machine type. And if
McMillan Installer works quite well on Intel platforms (Windows and various
Linuces), I've had some issues on Solaris that required some adjustements in the
Installer's source code and a lot of help from Gordon. So don't expect something
working "out of the box" on HP-UX or AIX...