authentication service for unix

Paul Rubin http
Wed Aug 25 16:24:57 EDT 2004

"Diez B. Roggisch" <deetsNOSPAM at web.de> writes:
> I'm looking for a method to authenticate users for a corba application
> server, running under linux. I want to be able to authenticate users that
> are valid unix users. Having role/group information would be nice later on.

AF_UNIX sockets under Linux provide an "ancillary message" operation
that lets you check the user id of the process at the other end of a
socket.  Unfortunately, Python's socket module doesn't support that
operation.  I have a Sourceforge bug in about it and may someday get
around to writing a patch, but of course you're welcome to do it first ;).