[Python-Dev] RELEASED Python 2.4, alpha 2

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Aug 6 04:34:34 EDT 2004

Vincent Wehren wrote:
> What surprised me a little is that on Win XP I could install 2.4a2 as a user
> with restricted rights over a previously administrator-installed
> for-all-users 2.4a1 standard-paths-used installation without
> warnings/problems - well, except for the obvious errors writing to the
> registry (and yes, I tried it intentionally ;). I am not entirely on board
> with the MSI's capabilities, but is there a way to tell the user (before the
> registry errors happen), that he/she may have insufficient rights to
> install?

I'm not quite sure I understand what you were doing, and in what way
this has surprised you. It seems
- you made a per-machine installation as the administrator
- you then upgraded as a restricted user (not being asked whether this
   is going to be per-user or per-machine)

What *should* have happened is this:
- MSI finds that the new installation is per user, and the old
   installation is per-machine, so no upgrade is possible
- the UI then tells you that the target directory already exists,
   and wants confirmation
- if you proceed, it overwrites the existing files, creating a
   per-user installation (i.e. shortcuts in your profile, registry
   keys in HKEY_CURRENT_USER)

Are you saying that somebody else has happened instead?
If not, in what way did that surprise you?

Regards,
Martin