How does a "script" differ from a "program" or "subroutine"?

Donn Cave donn at u.washington.edu
Tue Aug 24 12:22:18 EDT 2004

In article <lvnmi0tq1phergljf3211g4dtgue93qhqh at 4ax.com>,
 Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfraed at ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> On 24 Aug 2004 13:45:38 GMT, Oliver Fromme <olli at haluter.fromme.com>
>

> > Python is more a programming language than a scripting
> > language (more than Perl, at least), although you can very
> > well use it for tasks which would typically be written in a
> > scripting language.
> >
> 	I'd put REXX at the split point between a strictly OS scripting
> language (JCL, DCL, shell scripts) and interpreted programming language
> (Python, BASIC, PERL, etc.). Primarily for REXX's easy means of using OS
> commands -- any statement not recognized as a REXX statement is
> automatically passed to the current defined command host (normally a
> command shell, but could be a REXX compatible editor, or other
> application). None of this hassle of explicitly calling os.system() (for
> example). For ambiguous statements (those that could be REXX or command
> host), putting quotes around those meant for the host was sufficient.

And you might have added, it can be applied to other environments
besides the OS, as an application scripting language.  In either
case it takes functionality of a type that is commonly wielded by
hand, and exposes it in a programming language.  Hence, a script,
obviously derived from common English usage of the word.

   Donn Cave, donn at u.washington.edu