How do I get IDLE on Suse Linux 9.x?

Siegfried Gonzi siegfried.gonzi at kfunigraz.ac.at
Tue Aug 10 06:57:32 EDT 2004

michael wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I am reasonably experienced with Python (and love it!) on Windows. I am a
> programmer that toils in c++ on Win 32 mostly but just to learn more, I am
> playing with Suse 9. Linux.
>
> Of course the first thing I tried to fire up was Python. From the command
> line, I can access Python 2.3 with no problem.
>
> I tried to run / search for IDLE which I thought was a standard install on
> any python installation but it is not present.
>
> My question is this: Should I just use a text editor and go without IDLE? Is
> there another IDE standard on Linux? Do I need to download something to get
> IDLE?

As far as I remember (I do not use Python any longer) you can do the following:

Get  "ActiveState Python":

www.activestate.com/Python.plex

I once faced the same problem with SuSE Linux 8.0. I had bad luck because I had
installed the "normal" SuSE version only. I think in order to get idle running
you need professional SuSE Linux (for all the header files).

Fensterbrett