Popular Python projects with lots of pure Python code

Brett C. brett at python.org
Tue Aug 10 14:08:45 EDT 2004

"Robert Brewer" <fumanchu at amor.org> wrote in message news:
> If you need just stats (without drilling down into code to interpret
> those stats), you might package up your stat-generation code and hand it
> out on c.l.p. That way, I and many others could run it against our
> proprietary code and just give you results without exposing source code.
> Might be a way to get a broader range of results--most of the "big
> projects" in the wild are frameworks, not apps.

Hmm.  That's possible.  The only problem is that I have modified the
2.3.4 compiler so people would need to be willing to have a copy of
2.3.4 source, apply the patch, and then probably run py_compile on
their Python code tree.

But who knows, some people might be interested enough to bother.  I
can post the code once I think it is as bug-free as it is going to get
before I start collecting stats.

Thanks for the suggestion, Robert.

-Brett