Python indentation deters newbies?

Dave Brueck dave at pythonapocrypha.com
Fri Aug 13 10:56:47 EDT 2004

beliavsky at aol.com wrote:

> One of the most commmon reasons programmers cite for not trying Python
> is that indentation determines the program flow -- they think its
> weird.

Yes, that is commonly cited. From the programmer's perspective,
indentation implies program flow in nearly *all* modern languages. The
difference is that in Python the compiler believes you.

> I think programmers who actually try Python adapt quickly and
> do not find the indentation rules to be a problem.

Yep!

> I wonder if there is a way to remove this initial barrier.

I sure hope not... if someone can't accept that there might be value in
it being different than what they're used to (so much so that they're
unwilling even to give it a try), then the indentation is only the first
of many things that will give them problems.

In that sense it's really useful - maybe it weeds out people who
wouldn't be happy in Python yet anyway <0.5 wink>.

-Dave