Python indentation deters newbies?

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Fri Aug 13 10:44:56 EDT 2004

beliavsky at aol.com wrote:

> One of the most commmon reasons programmers cite for not trying Python
> is that indentation determines the program flow -- they think its
> weird. I think programmers who actually try Python adapt quickly and
> do not find the indentation rules to be a problem.

I think you're right on both counts.  For me, the adaptation
period was roughly ten seconds...

> I wonder if there is a way to remove this initial barrier.

Why?  Is there really any evidence that the Python community
is missing a large number of really excellent programmers merely
because they are resistant to the idea of syntactically significant
indentation?  Yes, it's one of the most common reasons programmers
cite as you note above, but in absolute terms I doubt it's that
significant.

> I'm not saying that Python's use of indentation is bad, just that it
> stops many programmers from trying it.

I really question whether we are looking for such programmers.
They sound rather close minded and perhaps even lazy...

-Peter