just ignore Guido's "rejections" [Re: Alternative decorator syntax decision]

Anthony Baxter anthonybaxter at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 15:50:57 EDT 2004

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 09:50:18 -0500, Doug Holton <insert at spam.here> wrote:
> We can safely ignore Guido's "rejections" when deciding upon an
> alternative to agree upon.  Many people felt his rejections of C1 (a
> longtime community favorite), E1 and other alternatives were wrong.
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2004-August/048134.html

Uh, what? No, you _can't_ ignore Guido's rejections - if you really decide
that you must have a form he's objected to, you need a _damn_ strong
argument to back that up. A "longtime community favorite" doesn't mean
a thing - this is language design, not American Idol - that a lot of people
like it makes no difference.