just ignore Guido's "rejections" [Re: Alternative decorator syntax decision]

Doug Holton insert at spam.here
Fri Aug 20 16:09:54 EDT 2004

Anthony Baxter wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 09:50:18 -0500, Doug Holton <insert at spam.here> wrote:
>
>>We can safely ignore Guido's "rejections" when deciding upon an
>>alternative to agree upon.  Many people felt his rejections of C1 (a
>>longtime community favorite), E1 and other alternatives were wrong.
>>http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2004-August/048134.html
>

> Uh, what? No, you _can't_ ignore Guido's rejections - if you really decide
> that you must have a form he's objected to, you need a _damn_ strong
> argument to back that up. A "longtime community favorite" doesn't mean
> a thing - this is language design, not American Idol - that a lot of people
> like it makes no difference.

Um, yes.  The point is to determine what the *community* decides on, and
*then* present that to Guido.  You're just helpping confound this second
vote even more.  Some people aren't voting for what they think is best,
but what they think Guido hasn't "rejected".  That is ridiculous.
You'll end up with a syntax that nobody really ever liked most, even Guido.