Python future performance and speed

Dominic nomail at nospam.no
Sun Aug 22 04:28:26 EDT 2004

Neuruss wrote:
> It seems there are quite a few projects aimed to improve Python's
> speed and, therefore, eliminate its main limitation for mainstream
> acceptance.
> I just wonder what do you all think?
Well, I have written a (simple) graphical real time simulator
which does 1024x768x16 with at least 20 frames per
second on a PIII 800MHz notebook.
I have wrapped a game graphics library with Pyrex
which was not very difficult.
   However the differential equation solver had been
slow in Python. So I rewrote in C++ and wrapped
it with Boost until I learned that using Pysco
would give me the same boost without C++!
So apart from the small graphics library wrapper
everything has been done in Python.
If JIT for Python gets better Pyrex and the likes
will "only" be useful for wrapping existing C/C++ code.

Ciao,
  Dominic