Poll - Vote here for "list-after-def" (was Decorator syntax)

Fri Aug 6 06:35:33 EDT 2004

> I'm not saying that this isn't possible, more that merely collecting a
concensus
> vote isn't likely to do much. Strong technical arguments are much more
likely
> to work.

It seems that citing constructs in other languages as precedent counts for
something.  One of GvR's objections is that the list-after-def comes after
the argument list, presumably reversing the order of importance of the list.
Conceptually, I think he sees these decorators as attributes of the function
itself, ahead of the arguments, which are a level down from the function
def.

However, this is exactly like the 'const' qualifier in C++, which comes at
the end of the function declaration, or the 'raises' clause in IDL or
'throws' in Java.  Just because these come at the end of the decl doesn't
imply they are in any way 'inferior' to the argument list.  (And they
accomplish this without needing any special punctuation marks!)

-- Paul
Keep Python Beautiful.