On consensus decision-making (was Re: Alternative decorator syntax - POLL RESULTS SO FAR - ARE WEDONE?)

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Mon Aug 23 15:13:15 EDT 2004

Aahz wrote:

> In article <z-adnRDpSpoTJrXcRVn-iw at powergate.ca>,
> Peter Hansen  <peter at engcorp.com> wrote:
>
>>The voting was merely to narrow down the choices.  It seems pretty
>>clear there are now only three candidates in the running, the @pie
>>syntax plus J2 and C1.  The latter doesn't yet have an implementation,
>>which is almost certainly its biggest disadvantage (and not that more
>>people voted for J2 than for it).
>
> According to a python-dev message from Michael Hudson, there's an old
> implementation of C1 (the *original* decorator implementation).  ;-)

I suppose, then, that Guido really hasn't relented or he would
still be considering it strongly.  I suspect that in comparison
to either @pie (I assume that's A1, but I've lost track) or J2
he feels C1 is just not readable enough to be in the running.

I guess, much as I feel C1 is one of the most Pythonic, I also
feel it is not as readable as either A1 or J2.  Much less ugly
than A1, but not as readable... strange how I feel that now...

Anyway, I suppose this means that the selection will be from
amongst A1, C1, and J2, each with an implementation, each with
a sizable number of proponents.  Wish the man well. ;-)

-Peter