Intelisence (and type inference)

Ville Vainio ville at spammers.com
Tue Aug 31 03:27:19 EDT 2004

    Andrei> Jonathan  Ellis <jbellis <at> gmail.com> writes:
    >> > Is there any inelisence IDE (like visual studio) for python?

    Andrei> It's harder to do this for Python than for less dynamic
    Andrei> languages. The most

Yes, it's non-trivial, but why is it so hard? I mean, what's the
killer problem about type inference? I'm not talking about Starkiller
level type inference (which has to be just right, because the code is
actually executed) but the kind that would support IDEs for developers
that use python in a reasonably standard way:

- Modules are imported from standard places

- No methods are inserted dynamically

- Ambiguous methods are annotated somehow (e.g decorators ;-).

- etc.

In cases where a name can be bound to instances of multiple different
classes, suggest all the methods for completion:

>From Foo:

foo(k,g)
foo2(x,y)

>From Bar: