!wtf ellipsis

Christos TZOTZIOY Georgiou tzot at sil-tec.gr
Sat Aug 14 09:57:46 EDT 2004

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 16:35:34 -0700, rumours say that Erik Max Francis
<max at alcyone.com> might have written:

>Christos TZOTZIOY Georgiou wrote:
>
>> Peter provided a link answering your questions.  As a side note, I
>> have
>> used Ellipsis instead of None as a very handy last item put in queues
>> in
>> threaded programs (after all, "ellipsis" means "absence" or "lack" in
>> English :)  Thus I avoid creating dummy classes to mark the end of
>> data...

[Erik]
>But as a sentinel, why would it be superior to None?

I wouldn't choose the word "superior to", rather "more fitting than"
IMO; that's because I associate None with "no value", and Ellipsis with
"end of values".

PS Irrelevant, but I just thought that it's probably too late to ask
whether any Pythonistas are here in Athens for the Olympic games, in
order to buy them a beer or another drink of their choice :)
--
TZOTZIOY, I speak England very best,
"Tssss!" --Brad Pitt as Achilles in unprecedented Ancient Greek