python usage

Mon Aug 23 11:21:58 EDT 2004

"Ville Vainio" <ville at spammers.com> wrote in message
news:du7pt5hoqov.fsf at amadeus.cc.tut.fi...

>     Phanish> which inturns calls c++ client stubs. These stubs are
>     Phanish> CORBA stubs which talk to a CORBA server residing some
>     Phanish> where in the network.  I want to know as to whether it is
>     Phanish> feasible to use Python or just live with c++ for UI and
>     Phanish> stubs?
>
> One thing you may not yet know is that Python absolutely rocks for
> CORBA - seeing how elegant CORBA can be is one of the reasons I
> decided to check out Python in the first place. OmniORB is the ORB I
> would check out first if I were you...

<snip>

I too have had very good results using Python with CORBA.  However, beware
of interoperability issues, especially with proprietary ORBs.  CORBA is not
entirely as interoperable as one would hope.*  Do a few experiments if you
are writing Python/OmniORB clients to non-OmniORB servers, or vice versa.

* this information is a little bit old, things may have improved in the past
year...

-- Paul