python usage

Jeff Lindholm jeff_news at lindholm.org
Mon Aug 23 14:08:09 EDT 2004

> Hi, One of my customer wants me to use Python as a test scripting
> language. The architecture is as follows: An C++/Java UI obtains all
> required inputs from the user and then makes call to Python script
> which inturns calls c++ client stubs. These stubs are CORBA stubs
> which talk to a CORBA server residing some where in the network.
> I want to know as to whether it is feasible to use Python or just live
> with c++ for UI and stubs?
> Is it good to use Python for this purpose? What is the advantage?
> Thanks
> Phanish

If all you are testing is the CORBA object, then go all Python, if you are
using it to create a prototype or something, then use the language that is
the final target. (if you can make the final target Python, great)
There is no reason to try and find a reason to use Python (or any language),
if you are only using it to say "Look I used Python here" then it is
probably the wrong choice. Going from C++/Java UI to Python back to C++/Java
why put Python in the middle? I would guess that C++/Java to CORBA would be
better if C++/Java was the requirement. If Python is the requirement then
Python to CORBA would be better.