decorators vs GIL

Anthony Baxter anthonybaxter at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 03:01:28 EDT 2004

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 11:05:06 -0700, Donn Cave <donn at u.washington.edu> wrote:
> May have missed some of the context here, I suspect there's
> a particular language that's preventing some particular type
> of access to the thread library, but the details seem to be
> missing.

One other point on Python's thread library - it tries to offer a consistent
set of functions and methods and behaviour across all platforms where
threading exists. It also implements it in terms of the platform's native
threads libraries, rather than implementing it's own. This, in theory, makes
Python more portable, and it's threads more robust.

And then there's HP/UX. Oh well, nice theory.