How do you feel ?

AdSR artur_spruce at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 7 05:58:07 EDT 2004

Sylvain Hellegouarch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A bit off topic.

Not at all, in my view.

> I just wondered what was your feeling when you were coding with Python.
> I have beebn coding with different languages and the only that has given
> me the will to invent or to be creative has been Python. Python allows
> me not to focus on the complexity of the language itself.

It's a lot of fun, rewarding, often giving instant gratification. I
can do some pretty complex stuff (at least from my point of view) in
short time, do it right and complete. I did some programming for fun
in C++ and Java, but only very simple tasks, worse and not really
better.

It's useful. I can do helper tools that I could live without but that
make my (professional or private) life easier.

It's interesting. I can learn new (to me) programming concepts, like
function currying. I tried to learn Perl, and after one useful script
done in five days, never got back to it. I tried Common Lisp, but
online tutorials are very basic, and online reference is hard to
navigate; I still don't know what "#" and "," mean. I tried Smalltalk
and loved it - it's approach to OO complements Python's in a very cool
way - but I'd need something better integrated with the system than
Squeak is.

I repeat, above all, it's a lot of fun.

> Of course, from time to time, I find something that is not clear to me
> but indeed after a couple of research you find the information you were
> looking for.

Yeah, sometimes you have to dig for it, like I had for the way to do
multiple keystroke bindings in Tkinter for the DiacriticalEditor
(http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/286155;
shameless self-advertisement), but chances are you'll find it or
someone on c.l.py will tell you.

> I love that language and above all, I love using it.

Same here.

> Sorry for this little spam but it is always good to acknowledge good
> things and not only complaining when it doesn't work.

Like I said, it's no spam at all.

> Thanks the Python team.

Same from me,

AdSR