Live conversation between Python and an Excel spreadsheet

quadric at primenet.com quadric at primenet.com
Mon Aug 30 12:57:24 EDT 2004

Hi,
I have an application that requires that Python initiate and mediate a live
and iterative conversation
between an external application (in which Python is embedded) and an
external Excel
spreadsheet.  Python will have to pass info to the spreadsheet, spreadsheet
will make
calculations, Python will obtain results and pass back to
application,  application will evaluate
results of spreadsheet calculations and create new set of data and
instructions, Python will pass
new data and instructions to spreadsheet,  loop goes on 'n' times until
convergence to solution
or no solution.  Python terminates conversation and returns control to
application until next
'conversation'.

If I had my choice (which I don't) I would re-code the spreadsheet in
Python, but that is not an
option in this case.

Is there anyone on the list that has done this before and has an elegant
solution?  If so, what Python modules should I look at?  Are there any good
Python books out there that have
examples of this?

I am experienced with Python and have some knowledge of COM objects etc....

Thanks