Python Usage Statistics

Jaco Smuts JSmuts at clover.co.za
Tue Aug 31 07:28:52 EDT 2004

Don't know about usage statistics, suspect it's not as great as I'd like
it  to be.

I'm sure there's some data available on the average age of python
programmers though

anandpillai at letterboxes.org (Anand Pillai)
Sent by: python-list-bounces+jsmuts=clover.co.za at python.org
08/31/2004 01:22 PM

        To:     python-list at python.org
        cc:
        Subject:        Python Usage Statistics

Hi Folks

     (posting after a loooong time...)

    I have been contracted by an Indian publisher to author an
introductory text book on Python. As a part of the introductory
chapter, I thought it would be a good idea to present a number, a
round-about figure on the approximate *actual* usage of Python out
there in number of developers and/or installations.

    Scrounging the Web for such statistics is proving elusive. The PBF
website seems to be the official place for these, but there also they
just have listings of companies/instituitions using Python, not any
numbers.

    Has anybody done an actual market survey anytime recently on
Python usage in the software community? If so, where can I get access
to this information? I would be more interested in the number of
developers, both commercial/non-commercial who are doing development
using Python. Since almost every Linux distro now a days contains
Python by default, a number based on the installations could prove
faulty.

Have a nice day.

-Anand