Need help importing/installing reportlab module

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Mon Aug 30 23:24:08 EDT 2004

Active8 wrote:

> I did this once and can't remember how <blush> so I read the
> reportlab user guid. It says to unzip the reportlab archive - this
> is on w2k, BTW, with Python23 - to a directory and make a file
> called reportlab.pth in the pythod dir. The only line in this file
> is supposed to be the path to the reportlib dir.

When you unpack the ReportLab archive (I downloaded ReportLab_1_19.zip)
it creates a reportlab-1_19 directory (in my case in the C:\Steve
directory), with a reportlab subdirectory that is the package you want
to import.

My Python is installed in C:\Python23, so I created a
C:\Python23\reportlab.pth file which contained the single line

	C:\Steve\reportlab-1_19

Lo! "import reportlab" now works, and you should be good to go.

> Then I'm instructed to open the ... ok I'll close and reopen ... the
> python cmd line interpreter and type
>
> import reportlab
>
> so I get
>
> Import Error: no module named reportlab
>
> not too surprizing since I can't find anything named reportlab in
> the archive. I did basically the same thing to install PIL and that
> worked. I did also download rl_win32_2_3 and move those .pyd files
> to the pythod dll dir - I assume a pyd is a python dll - worked for
> PIL.

I'd be rather concerned that you can't find "reportlab" in the archive.
Basically all it contains is a "reportlab" package directory with the
code in it.

> If anyone can help me straighten this out, I'd really apppreciate
> it.
>
> TIA

Well if this doesn't fix it, please let me know.

regards
  Steve
[ReportLab's US rep]