Python milestone releases

Anthony Baxter anthonybaxter at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 12:30:24 EDT 2004

On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 16:53:09 +0200, Thomas D'Tak <outpost at rumblefish.org> wrote:
> - First of all, it should be mentioned somewhere (in a prominent place,
>   such that even first-time visitors of python.org can find it easily).

So we'd have some major releases that are more major than others?
Pass.

> - Not every release should be a milestone release;
>   milestones should not come more often than maybe every 2 years.
>   (E.g. 2.0 and 2.3 would have been good candidates IMO.)

See, I'd have said 2.1 and 2.3. 2.1 was the last release before the
new objects went in. Note also that major releases are typically
12-18 months apart. Python 2.1, for instance, is now over three
years old.

> And -even for programmers- the following could be important:
>
> - Some kind of support would be needed for the milestone releases,
>   even after the release of other -non-milestone- Python versions;
>   (e.g. bug fixes, backports of important new packages).

Volunteers to do this are more than welcome to do so, and I think that
the python dev community would be more than happy to do what's
needed to make this happen, if someone would offer to do it. I'm happy
to help someone who wants to do this, and is willing to commit to doing
this, to get up to speed. But please be aware that this is a non-trivial
amount of work.

I can say, that in my (current) role as release manager, I'm utterly
uninterested in doing this. One maintenance branch, with the
regular 6-monthly bugfix releases, is quite enough for me, thank
you.