Python milestone releases

Thomas D'Tak outpost at rumblefish.org
Fri Aug 6 10:53:09 EDT 2004

On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 11:54:27 +1000, Anthony Baxter wrote:

> I'm not sure how "2.3" isn't a milestone in any way that's meaningful.

For programmers, I agree.

But for other people (server admins etc.), I think, the following
would be important:

- First of all, it should be mentioned somewhere (in a prominent place,
  such that even first-time visitors of python.org can find it easily).

- Not every release should be a milestone release;
  milestones should not come more often than maybe every 2 years.
  (E.g. 2.0 and 2.3 would have been good candidates IMO.)

And -even for programmers- the following could be important:

- Some kind of support would be needed for the milestone releases,
  even after the release of other -non-milestone- Python versions;
  (e.g. bug fixes, backports of important new packages).

Martin v. Löwis describes in his follow-up to my original posting, that
some of the above did hold for Python 2.2. (But, actually, I was not aware
of that.)

Th.