J2 proposal: keyword

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Mon Aug 23 15:06:09 EDT 2004

Oliver Fromme wrote:
> So, FWIW, I think both "using" and "with" are fine,
> although both of those remind me of completely unrelated
> things.
>
> ("Using" as in the "print using" statement of certain
> ancient dialects of BASIC which was used for formatted
> output, as well as the "use" statement in perl to import
> a module.

I would call this a good precedent.  Or at least I'd
say that they choose the word well for that purpose,
and our purpose here is very similar.

(For those that don't recall this, I believe it was
similar to if not exactly like the following, where
it functions rather like a decorator in the sense
of transforming the usual function in a certain way:

   PRINT USING '$###.##', total_dollars
)

-Peter