J2 proposal: keyword

Oliver Fromme olli at fromme.com
Mon Aug 23 14:31:57 EDT 2004

Robert Brewer wrote:
 > Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > Aren't decorators just functions that are applied to the
 > > function definition?  Then how about "apply"?  It's short
 > > (for those lazy typers), and it expresses exactly what
 > > happens.
 >
 > "apply" is already a builtin.

Oops, you're right, of course.  The fact that it was
made obsolete by the extended call syntax made me
forget about it.  :-)

So, FWIW, I think both "using" and "with" are fine,
although both of those remind me of completely unrelated
things.

("Using" as in the "print using" statement of certain
ancient dialects of BASIC which was used for formatted
output, as well as the "use" statement in perl to import
a module.  And "with" is used in several languages (e.g.
PASCAL and ECMA/JavaScript) to denote a block of code
that works on the contents of a structure without having
to write the structure down each time -- a feature which
I wouldn't dislike to have in Python either. ;-)

Best regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Konrad-Celtis-Str. 72, 81369 Munich, Germany

``All that we see or seem is just a dream within a dream.''
(E. A. Poe)