Standard graph API?

Paramjit Oberoi p_s_oberoi at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 23 17:02:49 EDT 2004

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 20:41:53 +0000, Magnus Lie Hetland wrote:

> enough) I'm not talking about a standard *implementation*, just a
> standard *API*, like the DB-API. This could easily cover all kinds of
> strange beasts such as directed or undirected, weighted or unweighted
> (etc.) graphs; multigraphs, chain graphs, hypergraphs, who knows.

I believe the equivalent thing in the C++ world is the Boost Graph Library
described here:

http://www.boost.org/libs/graph/doc/table_of_contents.html
http://www.awprofessional.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=0201729148

I tried using it once, and it was so horrendously complicated that I gave
up.  Some of the complexity came from having to abstract all the different
kinds of graphs that were supported, but a lot of it was also a result of
the static nature of C++.

Still, it may be useful as a source of ideas and/or warning of problems.

-param