Confused about pep 318

Christopher T King squirrel at WPI.EDU
Thu Aug 5 15:42:41 EDT 2004

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004, Terry Reedy wrote:

> "Christopher T King" <squirrel at WPI.EDU> wrote in message
> news:Pine.LNX.4.44.0408051249050.10473-100000 at ccc6.wpi.edu...
> > That thread reaches no consensus,
>
> To me this is evasion.

Well, it is.

> >That's because it was.  ...
> >There had previously been no public discussions about it.
>
> You (agreeing with Steven) made a false accusation of something like
> dastardliness.  Just admit your mistake and move on.

(More evasion:) +10 points for using the word "dastardliness" in a
sentence.  +10 more for using it legitimately in a post on a computer
language mailing list.

> >other than, in his sole post in the thread, Guido stating
> >"I would love to see an implementation of this idea."
>
> Hence, I was not surprised to see it in an alpha as an experimental feature
> which might or might not stay.

Indeed, I was comforted by a recent post of Guido's in python-dev:

 When I let Anthony check it in for 2.4a2, the plan was to see how it
 fares in a2 and a3, and possibly take it out in 2.4b1.

I was afraid that going in so close to 2.4b1, @ was in for good, but
knowing they may yet come out is good.