How do I get IDLE on Suse Linux 9.x?

Hamilcar Barca hamilcar at tld.always.invalid
Tue Aug 10 13:31:17 EDT 2004

In article <0G1Sc.149588$fv.89578 at fe2.columbus.rr.com> (Tue, 10 Aug 2004
10:44:12 +0000), michael wrote:

> I tried to run / search for IDLE which I thought was a standard install on
> any python installation but it is not present.

Under Debian Linux, the standard Python distribution is broken up into
several packages -- which I found very confusing at first).  Debian
has an "idle-python2.3" package.

> My question is this: Should I just use a text editor and go without IDLE?

I've installed IDLE but never used it.

> Is there another IDE standard on Linux?

You mean besides Emacs?

> Do I need to download something to get IDLE?

I don't know SuSE but you do to use the standard Debian distributions of
Python.