Py2Exe PROBLEM

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Thu Aug 19 15:37:46 EDT 2004

Lad wrote:

> Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> wrote in message news:<2tGdncgUvpKRD7ncRVn-oQ at powergate.ca>...
>>Also please explain what "blackbox" and "timing" are, if
>>they are part of the problem.
>>
> Yes, I changed import rgs.py to import rgs but I still receive
>  >>The following modules appear to be missing
>
>>>['blackbox', 'timing', 'rgs.py']

Again, what are "blackbox" and "timing"?  Just two modules
which rgs.py imports, or something else entirely?

> When I try to start the exe file I get
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "rgs.pyc", line 561, in OnFileHistory
>
>   File "pickle.pyc", line 1390, in load
>   File "pickle.pyc", line 872, in load
>   File "pickle.pyc", line 985, in load_string
> LookupError: unknown encoding: string-escape
>
> Can you please help again?

Somebody will generally help, whether me or others...

The above actually looks like you might not be using
the right version of something.  Try running the same
version of python that you used to generate the py2exe'd
file and type the following in it:

 >>> r'tes\t'.decode('string-escape')

(Yes, just as I did there... complete with r and \t )

Does it give the same error?  If it does, then you
probably don't have Python 2.3 installed...

In any case, if you can't figure it out, post the version
of Python and py2exe that you are using.  Also make
sure you have fully tested the application *before* running
py2exe on it, so you'll know whether the problem involves
py2exe or not.

Note that based on what you are showing, there is now nothing
wrong with your py2exe setup: it generated a .exe and you
can run it.  The fact that it is failing points to a different
problem, not py2exe.

-Peter