music resources

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Tue Aug 17 06:32:06 EDT 2004

"Elaine Jackson" <elainejackson7355 at home.com> wrote in message news:<CObUc.124363$J06.99175 at pd7tw2no>...
> Is there such a thing as an executable language for music? If not, why not?
> And if yes, where can I find it? Naturally the ideal thing would be if such a
> language were implemented within python, but I would be willing to learn a
> lesser programming language if I had a reasonable assurance that it had what
> I'm looking for. I have, of course, googled for a solution, and I may have
> even found it, but if so I didn't recognize it as such. Any pointers will be
> mucho appreciado.

Once upon a time there was a programming language called AMPLE, which
supposedly resembled Forth or was at least a stack-oriented language,
that could be used to compose music with certain 8-bit hardware. I
searched for "AMPLE music composition" on Google and found this link:

http://www.colinfraser.com/m5000/m5000.htm

I can imagine that Python together with the Python Midi Package...

http://www.mxm.dk/products/public/pythonmidi

...could be used to produce similar kinds of compositions. The most
significant issues for me are generally related to getting my sound
system to function in a decent fashion, but it would be interesting to
look at this in more depth.

Paul