Going the PL/1 way

Jarek Zgoda jzgoda at gazeta.usun.pl
Sat Aug 7 17:46:51 EDT 2004

Tim Peters <tim.peters at gmail.com> pisze:

>> You want to say "if you want any improvement, do it yourself"? Sure,
>> it's much better than Java's JCP, but expect
>> http://catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/F/fork.html if enough people will share
>> the same annoyance and anger.
>
> I don't understand.  If you believe that nobody is volunteering work
> on things you want them to work on now (which may well be true,
> although it's false that volunteers don't contribute work on thread
> and performance issues already), how could merely forking Python make
> such volunteers appear?

Sorry, I am biased, we have "PLD Linux Distribution" in here in Poland,
where forks are considered as "development model". ;)

Generally, I see adding features a more desired attitude in developer's
community than simple fixing problems and this is my point (and I think
Miklos's too).

>> I write some free software, but I never tell users "go fix it yourself".
>> This is rude.
>
> Under the assumption that volunteers exist who want to work on what
> you want them to work on, but that they've somehow managed to miss
> Python's patch tracker, Michael was helpfully giving them the one clue
> they still needed to make you happy <wink>.

I didn't submit any patch to Python. I even don't know how to improve
Python. I just use Python in my daily work and I go into the same
problems as others get.

--
Jarek Zgoda
http://jpa.berlios.de/