Call for Grant Proposals

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Tue Aug 3 09:49:15 EDT 2004

Maurice Ling wrote:

> Then it will means that some projects may not be able to apply for this
> grant if it is the requirement of the project to be proprietary due to
> business strategy. What you are saying is that all projects should be
> open sourced but that may not be the case. Either that or you are
> indiscriminately lobbying for the cause of open source irregards of
> whether companies are ready for it or not, and then discriminating
> against companies who are not ready for it yet. Although I support open
> source development and had personally donated my work to Sourceforge and
> Biopython project, I will think that it is tyrannic to assume all work
> must be open sourced.

"Tyrannic" is hardly an appropriate adjective to apply to this
situation, either in letter or spirit.  You are asking for money to be
*given* to you here... it's a privilege, not a right.

Anyway, I suspect I'm not alone (as one of the people who have made
a donation, however small) in feeling very uncomfortable with the
idea of much of that money being used to fund closed-source projects.

-Peter