[Python-Dev] RELEASED Python 2.4, alpha 2

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Aug 5 13:56:16 EDT 2004

Tim Peters wrote:

> I tried that, and it seemed to work well, although it took a while.

Yes. I should probably speed it up by changing the UI sequence number
of RemoveExistingApplications from 1510 to 1450. In case you wonder
what this means: Action 1500 is InstallInitialize; anything from then
on is under transaction control. This means that installer will roll
back the uninstall in case the subsequent install fails. This is
expensive, as it first moves all old files out of the place, then puts
the new ones in, then deletes the old ones. At 1450, the files would
be deleted immediately (I believe), at the cost of not being able to
undo the deinstallation if the installation later fails (e.g. by
user Cancel).

> One glitch:  I'm pretty sure I selected "install only for me" in the
> first screen.  I wanted to go back to check, but it doesn't seem
> possible to go back to the first screen.

Yes. I don't know what to do about this: the screen sets ALLUSERS=1,
then performs FindRelatedProducts to find the old installation. If the
old installation was per-machine, we only find it if we commit to making
the new installation also per-machine. That decision cannot be taken
back; the user would have to cancel and start over.

> Anyway, the Python DLL ended
> up in a system directory, and that's "the glitch".  I expected/wanted
> it to end up in my Python directory.

Ok. I will see whether I can reproduce that.

Regards,
Martin