[Python-Dev] RELEASED Python 2.4, alpha 2

Vincent Wehren vwehren at home.nl
Fri Aug 6 02:18:21 EDT 2004

"Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:mailman.1196.1091715567.5135.python-list at python.org...
| Anthony Baxter wrote:
| > Python 2.4a2 is an alpha release. We'd greatly appreciate it if you
| > could download it, kick the tires and let us know of any problems you
| > find, but it is not suitable for production usage.
|
| The Windows installer should support upgrading from a previous Python
| 2.4 installation. If you have previously installed 2.4a1, you may try
| this out; please report any problems you find.
|
| Regards,
| Martin

What surprised me a little is that on Win XP I could install 2.4a2 as a user
with restricted rights over a previously administrator-installed
for-all-users 2.4a1 standard-paths-used installation without
warnings/problems - well, except for the obvious errors writing to the
registry (and yes, I tried it intentionally ;). I am not entirely on board
with the MSI's capabilities, but is there a way to tell the user (before the
registry errors happen), that he/she may have insufficient rights to
install?

--
Vincent Wehren