using pexpect to control python

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.us
Tue Aug 24 09:08:12 EDT 2004

In article <412b14c2 at duster.adelaide.on.net>,
Adrian Casey  <news at outbacklinux.com> wrote:
>Maurice LING wrote:
>
>> I know this might sounds wierd but I'm wondering if I can use pexpect or
>> os.popen3 function to invoke and control python interpreter to make it
>> act like a python interpreter in python?
>>
>> maurice
>
>Yes, should be possible.  I have used tcl expect to call other expect
>scripts successfully in the past.  You can use pexpect to control any
>command-line tool.
>
>What are you trying to achieve?

That last is *always* an apt question.

Don Libes invented Expect.  Expect is a wonderful, wonderful thing;
at the same time, its purpose is to mollify "programs with crappy
interfaces" (his words), so it's dispensable and inherently sub-op-
timal, in a sense I think we can make precise.  The point here is
that, whenever you're considering controlling a Python-based appli-
cation PP with Expect (or pexpect or ...), you should first invest
at least ten seconds analyzing whether you're better off re-doing
PP's interface.