age of Python programmers

Roman Suzi rnd at onego.ru
Thu Aug 19 11:58:13 EDT 2004

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 brianc at temple.edu wrote:

>Now my question is... am I a programmer yet? or still just a
>script kiddie?

One knows when one becomes a programmer. Its almost the same
feeling like mastering a bicycle or learning to swim.
Script kiddies are those who use ready programs, maybe
tweaking some constants in them.

>I've started to use classes regularly, so does that make it a
>yes? However, everything I've written this summer has been
>take data-->do something to each record-->output data
>That sounds like a script to me.

Script is a programme. Making scripts is programming.

>However, I've created totally self contained "scripts" that
>does stuff in minutes that other "professional" software takes
>days to do.
>
>I'm not talking pushing a few SQL statements around like I
>used to, now it's taking millions of possible drug candidate
>molecules, breaking into chemically similiar sets, computing
>comparison matices, doing fuzzy logic to decide which is the
>best and in the end making sure the entire thing can run on a
>128 processor linux cluster.
>
>Am I a programmer yet?

I felt that I am a programmer after one year starting learning Basic (it was
at age 14, 7th form IIRC). Before it happened at each nontrivial task I had a
feeling that it's a wall in front of me! But after the change happened,
programming became a matter of knowing syntax. It became universal skill, not
depending on a programming language.

>The only class I've ever taken dealing with computers was 5 years ago on
>using CSS to ease webpage design.

Good programmers start as self-learners. Then they master
and systemize theory and then practice alot.

>Oi, sorry, tomarrow's my last day at this internship, I could
>probably be knocking out 3-4 more python programs by then.=-)
>Without Python, I wouldn't know where the hell I would be.
>
>Thank you all!
>-Brian

Sincerely yours, Roman Suzi
--