XML documentation stinks - help?

Simon John simoninusa2001 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Aug 31 23:32:18 EDT 2004

I'm sure this must be a PEP, but could someone look at the PyXML
documentation?

I'm trying to evaluate XML on Python (to eventually use it with
XML-RPC) as apposed to Perl.

The problem is, I can't find a simple demo or documentation that just
says how to create a parser object, and call the start/char/end event
handlers.

With Perl's XML::Parser, it's that simple, you overload a
start/char/end handler that gets called for every element, then you
just create a hash of the data or whatever you want.

Most of the sites I Googled don't even exist anymore or have either
incomplete documentation, out-of-date documentation, or have way
over-complex examples that don't even explain why their importing
modules or what they're doing.

Maybe I'm missing something, but even comp.lang.python.* seems to have
no topics on XML in the past 3 years or so - has XML been deprecated
and I've not heard about it yet?! ;o)

I never thought I'd see something that is easy to do in Perl, but
seemingly impossible to do in Python, I guess Perl is optimised for
text parsing....